Top 10 Books for College book ReviewsAugust 20, 2022
Though the students are busy with college essay writing, they should read a wide variety of books. The following list includes books that will help students acquire knowledge and understanding about themselves and helps in self-improvement. The plots and concepts explained in these books should help the students in writing their book reviews.
- The Art of Happiness by The Dalai Lama: This book is written by two different authors, the 14th Dalai Lama and Howard Cutler. The Dalai Lama is the Tibetan leader of Buddhism, whereas Howard Cutler offers the psychiatric explanation of happiness. The book offers excellent understanding of happiness from a western and an eastern perspective. The book explains that happiness is ultimate purpose of life.
- Persuasion novel by Jane Austen: The book is based in 1800s. The story is about Anne Elliot, a 27 years old English lady and her family. The plot revolves around the issues created due to class rigidity, selfishness and snobbish attitude that pays too much importance to wealth. The story shows how navy plays a great role in increasing social mobility.
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee: This classic won Putlizer Prize. The story is set against the American society during the Great depression in 1930s. The plot revolves around issues of rape and racial discrimination. The story focuses on the injustice associated with racial discrimination and how the changes are required to achieve a better social outcome.
- Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi: This book is about achieving a mental state of deep concentration while being fully immersed in a work. Flow results in mental peace and happiness. The book explores the various ways to achieve flow, which can help students write any paper.
- Emotional Intelligence: Why it can matter more than IQ by Daniel Goleman: This book is another classic that explains that a person’s emotional ability has a deeper impact on success than IQ. Goleman claims that these emotional skills can improve performance at several levels like professional, social and personal relationships.
- This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald: This novel was considered a cultural sensation, as the plot is set against the Jazz Age in America and explores the morality and carefree attitude of the youth of that time period. The story is about Amory Blaine, a student at Princeton University and his journey as a grown man.
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho: The story revolves around a shepherd boy and his journey across the desert in search of treasure. The story focus on importance of believing your dreams. In fact, the story claims that if we have faith in our dreams then all the forces of universe work towards achieving the same.
- The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins: This is a series of dystopian novels based on the bravery of the character Katniss Everdeen. The plot revolves around 12 poor districts, who are ruled brutally by the rich Capitol. The selected representatives from each districts have to participate in death matches and their fight for survival.
- The Happiness Advantage by Shawn Achor: This book claims that the presence of happiness attracts success. The author Shawn Achor, spent many years researching the science of happiness and the science of positive psychology. The book provides some practical ways the students can use positive state of mind to achieve more success in life. Shawn Achor is well known for his research on positive psychology in Harvard Business Review, and his lecture in TED Talk.
- How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie: This book shows how worry can hurt every aspect of our life. It reveals stories of how many successful men have managed the bad habit of worrying and have diverted their thoughts and energy towards to constructive accomplishments. When faced with a problem, you should not worry instead you should focus on solutions. For instance, instead of worrying about their homework, there are many online resources where the students can find essay writer help.
These books can help the students understand various aspects of our lives, which should help themselves led a more fulfilling life.